Mud & Mischief

Just our way of home educating our three girls; assisted by an allotment, a Land Rover and a heap of ingenuity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Order tracking and overdue catchup

Those few bits I ordered from Sonlight were dispatched on Thurs Oct 27 at 8.59am. I just checked on the oh-so-interesting tracking facility, and the parcel is in Nottingham! As of 4.17am on Sat 29th. I'm amazed.

Just wondering how long it'll take 'em to ship it the final 30 miles. lol

Have just realised that I've been blogging complete cr*p lately, and have hardly mentioned education. Well, it has been half term. At least, that's my excuse.

Today has been mixed. Apart from the hoo-ha with the builders, we haven't done a huge amount. I've best part filled another bin bag with paper rubbish, sorting out the piles of papers that have been sat around gathering dust for months on end. The girls have played, fought, whinged, eaten some, not drunk enough (as we're out of apple juice, oh the shame), argued, whined and generally driven me totally insane. I just know we're going to be stir crazy by tomorrow night. Even with a walk to the woods planned for tomorrow, after Grandma has been over to visit for an hour.

We had jacket spuds with cheese and beans for tea, with carrot sticks for starters and Myf helped me make pancakes for pudding, which went down very well. And they all ate everything, which is an improvement on the past two weeks. A scrub and teeth and then a couple of pages of Little House in the Big Woods, which is being recieved very well indeed. Myf keeps asking me for more, and she can now recap what we've read previously before I carry on with the story. I enjoy these books, and it's revisting my childhood every time I pick one up. Can't wait for Narnia, Famous Five (yes, I know, not PC but hugely enjoyable - at least, my 7 year old self loved them), Anne of Green Gables, Judy Blume, Roald Dahl, etc

Before lunch she played on a Garfield CDROM we bought a while back. She's flying through the Year 1 cd (I should think so too) and even did all the addition in the two additon squares she was presented with. wtf? just grids, 1 to 5 onthe first one, 1-8 onthe second one. And she did them. I am now extremely suspicious. Well, she didn't quite finish the second one, as the baby had a melt down so I insisted all electrical devices were switched off before I was tempted to hardwire Piglet into one of them. You remember how they powered the cities in Monsters Inc? That child could run Doncaster on her own when she starts screaming.

I did get a bit of unsolicited writing out of Myf however. She made Daddy a card, which read "To Daddy, I mis yuo. I hope you have a lovly taym in CroATIA love from" with lots of kisses. She asked me why hop didn't say hope, to which I pointed out it was a 'magic e' word, and then she asked 'lovely is a 'o' not a 'uh', isn't it? like love?" And the best bit was when she went to the big wall map to see how to spell Croatia. Hence the capitals for the last 4 letters. I was gobsmacked. And more than a little pleased. And also, quite relieved in a way. Maybe there's hope for us yet. :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's always hope hun.

10:53 pm  
Blogger Nikki said...

Go on Myf! That's lovely (with an o, lol) - she wanted to do it, and could see a reason for doing it, so she did. Excellent stuff.

Never read Little House in the Big Woods. Must go see. Did you ever read the Enid Blyton "Mystery of..." ones as a child? Loved those. Also very un PC, but fun. Also the Susan Cooper Over Sea Under Stone series. Oooh, you've inspired me to go dig around and see what I can find now!

9:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home