Mud & Mischief

Just our way of home educating our three girls; assisted by an allotment, a Land Rover and a heap of ingenuity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Thursday, October 27, 2005

It's escaped me

I had something really interesting to blog about this evening, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. Shows how interesting it actually was then!

Normal headless-chicken kind of day. Got up, did breakfast/clothes routine thing, made Myf sit down and do some 'normals' (nothing normal about that child - wish those cuisinaire rods would hurry up and arrive!), then we wrapped up and went for a walk with the dog up to the woods and park.

Unwrapped halfway there, because of the horridly unseasonal weather we're having. Yes, it was nice and sunny and warm, but it's OCTOBER!!! Hello? It's not supposed to be warm and sunny and nice to amble round in tshirts in. It's supposed to be misty and damp and a season of mellow fruitfulness. Nearly November kind of weather. Not warm enough to be spring time. And I also saw some very disturbing signs of how dreadfully skewed the weather is - we were picking leaves for the seasonal table I've set up for the girls. Yes, picking, as most of the leaves were still on the trees. True, some are colouring up now, but the oaks are still fully dressed in dark green, which is most bizarre. And whilst we were picking those oak leaves, I noticed splashes of acid green here and there. Next seasons buds are opening. There are tiny new pale green oak leaves at the tips of some of the branches and that is really, really not right. As soon as we get a frost, that's those new shoots shot. There's a very odd feel in the air and I don't think I like it.

Of course, one bonus to the good weather is that my builder finally turned up. And I was very nice and didn't give him half the bollocking I should have done, but he did admit that yes, they'd been a bit tardy, and yes, they'd finish it in four weeks. Better be a damn sight sooner, as it's 6 weeks till Tea's birthday and I want a party for her in the new playroom! So, Saturday 10th December it is. Fingers crossed, folks.

After our very educational walk in the woods, with lots of tree identification going on, discussions on why Mommy is so irritated with finding new shoots on autumn trees, and what exactly frost does to soft leafy things, we came home, threw dog int he house and took off in the truck to meet up with some local friends at a soft play centre. Managed to get in without paying, which was good, as we stayed for lunch and that was expensive. :( Then to toy shop to find Nikki's lot some birthday pressies, as I'd missed the boys' birthdays and it was Nin's 2nd today. Went to hers, had a coffee, and then came home.

And that ghastly noise is back. The expensive sounding one on the white truck. Different wheel this time. Nasty grinding shuddering crunching squeaking sort of noise. Not impressed. Was going to swing past a friend's garage on the way home but didn't want to drive it that much further. Which, in hindsight, was stupid, as I needed to go to doctors for Piglet's prescription, post office to post 3 letters and a parcel and Bob's is just a few doors down from there.

Instead I put the kids down for a nap and started cleaning the kitchen.

And now I've blogged and still can't remember what it is I wanted to say so I'll shut up and go excavate under the sofa. Just for the fun of it. :/

4 Comments:

Blogger Jax Blunt said...

I excavated under a sofa earlier as well. Must be catching. And I spent the afternoon sweltering at work as I didn't have a decent top on under the sweater I'd put on this morning. Weird weather.

8:25 pm  
Blogger Emma said...

It is strange weather isn't it?

I think it means we are in for a very cold winter that's going to take us suddenly by surprise!

As for cleaning the kitchen, I thought you didn't 'do' housework ;-)
Perhaps this cleaning bug is infectious......

7:56 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

10th Dec? remind me to put it in the diary!

12:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BBC Weather forecast is interesting - steady wet and about 11 or 12 deg til Tues when it plummets to 5!

1:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home