Mud & Mischief

Just our way of home educating our three girls; assisted by an allotment, a Land Rover and a heap of ingenuity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Sunday, October 23, 2005

First ever complaint

I've never before in my life put in an 'official complaint' (although the LEA are seriously pushing their luck). But last night I sent an email to the Advertising Standards Agency and had a rant about a radio advert.

And so far today, I haven't heard it on the radio! lol. I listen to Classic FM all day, every day. It's on in the kitchen, the car, the computer - I love it and the kids are starting to recognise pieces of music on a regular basis. The only think that irritates me is the adverts, but after a while, you get to the point where you can block them out and just wait for the next bit of music. But lately, there's been an awful advert on, which has actually made me turn the radio down whenever it comes on.

It's a Lotto ad, and features a woman panting and screaming whilst giving birth to the 'next lotto millionaire' who then asininely asks 'where's the champagne?' I've had Myf asking 'why is that lady screaming Mommy?' and to be honest, it turns my stomach everytime I hear it.

I'm not sure why - I had a few moments of thought when trying to fill in the complaints box as to *why* exactly it was offensive. Basically, I think it's having something like the pain of childbirth belittled in such a fashion. It upsets my kids, makes me feel queasy and I can imagine how it would probably adversely affect a number of women of child-bearing age.

So I complained. And I wait with baited breath for their response. And those of you who know me will probably be scratching their heads in perplexity and wondering what on earth has got into me. Answer? No idea.

2 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

Good for you!

I'm a great believer in complaining when necessary. If people don't give feedback, whether positive or negative, problems can't be addressed and rectified.

I hope you feel better for it :-)

3:39 pm  
Blogger Jax Blunt said...

You know, that one doesn't annoy me nearly as much as all the ads asking me whether my mortgage payments have gone up recently (no, interest rates have been rather stable for quite some time!), or the one with the two gas flames talking to each other. How odd. Because I don't mind complaining at all, everyone needs a hobby ;)

9:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home