Mud & Mischief

Just our way of home educating our three girls; assisted by an allotment, a Land Rover and a heap of ingenuity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Nursery ramblings

Got a letter this morning, confirming that I'd declined Tea's nursery place.

Subsequently, I'm having a bit of a crisis over it.

Well, not really crisis, but a bit of self-questioning OMG am I doing the right thing, kind of nonsense. Still tired from Billing so forgive me if I make no sense.

I can't take Tea to the nursery at the local school - that's where I pulled Myf out of last November. And the nursery entrance is right next to her old classroom. It wouldn't be so bad if there was someone who could take her for me, and collect her, but I don't feel it's fair to drag Myf down there twice a day, as about the only thing she misses from school are a couple of friends and I don't want to have her getting all confused again.

Plus, I don't think Tea is ready for nursery - or rather, I don't think she's ready for spending several hours a day with a gang of strange children. I have a few concerns about her behaviour and development, but they're my private thoughts and I don't want some teacher to spend a few hours with my little blond space cadet and start labelling her. And I know she'd be labelled. Her speech isn't good, and sometimes she can be a little hard to get through to. She's incredibly linear and literal in her thinking, as well.

Plus I'm having another am-I-doing-the-right-thing about Myf. Which is daft, really, as suddenly she's decided she can read. (Thanks Jax - that Toe by Toe is working wonders!) and is now reading everything - well, trying to. She swings from appearing to read confidently, to being unable to sound out the word 'pick'. And that was after listening to her work out what 'Cheltenham' was...

Right, time to do something about the bomb site. I also have a large bag of apricots that James brought back from his mum's last night (I only sent him to pick up the dog). Need to hunt down an apricot jam recipe, methinks. Anyone else got any other suggestions as to what I could do with them?

2 Comments:

Blogger Jax Blunt said...

Yeah Myf! Bizarre about the toe by toe, isn't it? It seemed to provide the right kick start for Big as well, although as you've seen, we barely even started it. I think you're doing the right thing, but you know that already. And remember, if you're in full flow for whatever reason, you don't have to call a holiday, but you can if you like :)

Tea - hm. I think she's lovely, and she'd do OK, but she'll do better in her own home with you.

11:29 am  
Blogger dottyspots said...

I'm with Jax on the Tea front - but then I have my own little space cadets here :0)

I'm sure I'm a recipe for a bread & butter pud with apricots, can have a look tomorrow if you'd like.

Might drop you an e-mail in a bit.

6:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home