Mud & Mischief

Just our way of home educating our three girls; assisted by an allotment, a Land Rover and a heap of ingenuity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Friday, April 15, 2005

Back to Normal

Apologies for the depressing content of my last post. That's not normally how I do things, tbh.

However, today is new day. And already we've had a very deep discussion on learning to read. I sat D down (who now wishes to be known as Myf on here - so Myf she shall be) and we talked about why it was important that we do more 'learning'.

"But learning is boring."

"School is boring, learning is fun."

"Same thing." Shrug. Worldly air of bored teenager. Anyone for Kevin and Perry?

I told her that as she's nearly 6, (Steiner and autonomous parents look away here), she should really be reading all on her own. Even her friends Big and E, who are technically a year below her (even though they're only 6 months younger) are doing more reading than she is. Etc etc etc [insert reasonable convincing argument using persuasive Mommy tone of voice here]

"But Mommy," she said eventually, her eyes starting to brim with tears. "If I learn to read by myself, you won't read me stories any more."

Now, I've read this particular thing on many home-ed blogs, but I never thought to hear it coming out of my own offspring's mouth. So we talked about it some more and she agreed that learning to read would be good, as she could read to T and Piglet if I was busy, and then I'd read to all three of them as normal. Aww bless.

However, at the moment they're all watching an First Words in French DVD. :) And Myf asked for it too - how's that for self directed learning?

On the other hand, we've still got the LEA looming over our heads. I have found out there's another family in Donaster being harrassed by Eyebal (excuse the deliberate misspelling, but someone pointed out that my blog showed up in a google for the real name of the LEA chap - don't want that!). So am waiting for the Sheffield EO contact Gary to call me back and we can discuss this letter to the LEA in more details.

Ho hum - and I need to go get some travel insurance for ourholiday (7 days and counting), ring a local solicitor for her take on this LEA mess, tidy my dining room, start packing for the holiday etc etc etc (see to-do list below)

Time for a cup of tea and a prioritisation session, I think.

2 Comments:

Blogger dottyspots said...

sure you don't want to slip a whisky in that tea ;0) The offer still stands if you want a bit of support on the letter front.

6:33 pm  
Blogger Helen said...

Ah Kris - I had that conversation with DD1 at 6. Reading was the last thing to go on the move towards *my* Steiner way...

If its any consolation - DD1 is now 9 3/4 and very happily reading having cracked it utterly and totally (after a couple of years of fustration and near misses and lots of pressure on herself!) and is finding such utter delight in a) doing it and b) having 'worked it out for myself'. And she still gets a story most evenings (although she has a tendancy to read ahead in the day before, and fustrate DP terribly by telling him what is coming up in that evenings chapter!!).

9:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home