Mud & Mischief

Just our way of home educating our three girls; assisted by an allotment, a Land Rover and a heap of ingenuity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Doing too much

Not just me - all of us. As I was trying to make a dent in the mountain of laundry that's accumulated recently, I came to the conclusion that we're all rushing around doing far too much. This laundry mountain is a constant companion, and whilst I'm used to dealing with it (there are 5 of us in this house), I dislike it when it takes over my bedroom to the extent that I can't get round the far side of the bed to open the curtains. I am neither fastidious nor houseproud, but I do like a bit of clear floor space here and there.

And the rest of the house looks like a tornado swept through it. It doesn't help that we're decorating hall, stairs and landing (finally! We've only been here two years...), and that the contents of the hall are split between my bedroom and the kitchen. The dining room is full of the left over bits that we can't find a home for, and some kitchen stuff that's been evicted, and the living room - well, lest said soonest mended as my Nan used to say.

But mainly, it's the HE that's suffering. I've bought this fabulous curriculum, have swapped various books and binders with Barbara, and now I've got the most wonderful teaching resource, all laid out on the shelves just above my head.

Trouble is, that's where it's staying. We're working through one of the Advanced readers, and when we actually sit down and concentrate on it, D is flying through the reading. I'm so impressed with her. But the history, science and maths stuff is just sitting there, looking reproachfully at me every time I walk into the room.

Which at the moment, isn't that often. We're out almost every day at present. Monday, it's Sheffield, and either Bradway or Playtime, and quite often Barbara's either before or afterwards. Tuesday is James' day off so we're always out somewhere doing something with him. Wednesday is Chesterfield group (or just Chesterfield some weeks, to Sarah's). And if we don't make it there on a Wed or Thurs, Sarah tends to come over and see us. Friday's have been busy the last couple of months, either Sheffield or Chesterfield or a local friend. I used to go into Doncaster market every Friday morning, until we ran out of time.

Lately, it's seemed like we've only really been at home on Saturdays, and then I'm doing such a headless chicken trying to catch up on laundry and doing a Brio/duplo patrol that the chances of sitting down and opening a book are slim to none. Sundays James is home again, so we do 'stuff'. Like go up to the allotment, have long, late, lazy brunches and play 'use Daddy as a climbing frame' and other important games.

Oh - and did I mention the garden? See, I'm such a bad mom, when my kids start bugging me to go out in the garden and play in the sun, I can't make them sit at the table with books and pencils. I let them down tools and don wellies. And seeing as how they're out there, I can't possibly stay in the house and catch up on my jobs. I have to be out there with them, supervising, and planting seeds and digging over the beds whilst they play and plant and push each other on the swing and off the slide.

But I think from now on, I'm going to limit the days we spend out and about. Mondays will still be Sheffield. It's only a half hour drive over to the far side, to Bradway, and D and Barbara's E get on so well. Once Jax is out of self-imposed quarantine and the rest of us have shown no sign of the pox, Big will be back in the small-girl-child trio.

Tuesdays I can't do anything about - although if James quits his job, I'm not sure what's going to happen, but that's a totally different blog. (!)

Wednesdays, I'm still undecided about. The girls loved charging around like loons at the Chesterfield group, but it's the best part of 45 minutes to an hour to get there. Having Sarah and Dino on hand to provide toasties and tea afterwards is a plus, however, the fact we don't ever leave before about 4.30pm means that we take over an hour to get home. And then they sleep in the car and bounce around like Space Hoppers till 8pm.

Thursday and Friday shall henceforth be known as 'learning' days. I was going to say 'work' days but that gives rise to the whole drudgery aspect. But do I want learning to be tarred with the same brush, ie, "Mom, where are we going today?" "Nowhere, it's a learning day." "But, awwwww, that's boring." etc etc etc. You get the picture.

So... suggestions, comments, answers on a postcard to the comment box, please. :-\ Time for a port, I think.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jax Blunt said...

You know, I went through that phase as well...providing places to go, ppl to see all the time. It isn't nearly as necessary as it feels...I like every other monday, and try to make sure we see ppl that we don't see then fairly regularly, and Big has ballet and I have to concentrate to get mine outside, after that I quit while I'm ahead.

I hated driving every day - and you are driving long distances!

Oh, and that self imposed quarantine looks like it was required, I spotted spots this evening - will keep you posted (not that you can get it from us, but there you go).

10:10 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wail!!! She doesn't love me any more!!!

Seriously tho, I do agree with you and have blogged accordingly. The toasted sandwich maker was getting far too much use!

10:37 pm  
Blogger Joanna said...

We've been in our house approaching 9 years, and still haven't decorated the hall stairs and landing (or the dining room, or the kitchen), so you're doing well!! We do plan to do them this year, though!

11:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home