Mud & Mischief

Just our way of home educating our three girls; assisted by an allotment, a Land Rover and a heap of ingenuity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Roasted bones and vegan cheese

I like food, so I thought I'd have a ramble about the stuff. Can't stop thinking about it, actually, as the house smells divine. I went to a local farm today, and bought proper bacon, real chicken and some home-grown beef, and asked for a couple of bones to make stock with. I roasted the bones and put them in my huge jam making pan (as none of the others were large enough) and now there's a gorgeous smell wafting my way as my fresh beef stock simmers on the hob.

But for the less carnivorously-inclined of you, I also made a vegan "macaroni-cheez" last night and it was really, really good. I swiped the recipe out of the Uncheese Cookbook ( bought for James' mum) and I told her I'd try a couple of the recipes out on my lot, before she attempted them. Well, was I impressed or what? Cook the macaroni as normal (don't overcook it - worst thing ever you can do to pasta is make it mushy). Make a roux with olive oil and flour (gluten free if you like), a little mustard powder and a pinch of cayenne. Add some dairy-free soy or rice milk, very very slowly until it's creamy and cook for a while. Then, add half a cup of nutritional yeast. It's quite extraordinary stuff. Mix with macaroni, bake in oven for 20 minutes or so and you have a very respectable mac'n'cheese, without a shred of dairy in it.

However, tonight's dinner was roast chicken, garlic and olive oil couscous and peas. And very nice it was indeed. Baked a butternut whilst the chicken and bones were roasting (very economically minded of me!) and shall make soup with that tomorrow for lunch. So off to load the bread machine before having a bath. :) Going to have an early night.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jax Blunt said...

All sounds disgustingly domesticated! I tidied toy boxes last night, does that count for anything?

8:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kids are getting into "proper" food here now and insisting that we have roast something with roast tatoes, yorkshire puds, veg - the works. I've had to learn fast!

7:24 pm  
Blogger Hazel said...

Vegan cheese = yum. Roasted bones = barf. But then you knew I'd say that anyway ;o)

11:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home