Mud & Mischief

Just our way of home educating our three girls; assisted by an allotment, a Land Rover and a heap of ingenuity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Monday, September 19, 2005

A quiet day

It's 9am on a fairly dreary Monday morning. Last night, I was woken up by each of the girls in turn. Myf woke me up at 3am to give me her other tooth that had fallen out. *Why* couldn't it have waited until morning? Tea was talking in her sleep, and then came to tell me she was dreaming. Wouldn't that suggest that she should have stayed in bed? And Piglet was just restless and squawky, not really waking up either but wanting soothing.

So this morning I feel like death warmed up. Not an unusual feeling, mind, just a wearily familiar one. However, there are plus points. I have noticed that when I talk to the girls in a chillingly quiet monotone, I get far better results than when I shout. ;) And when instructed that it was 9'o'clock and she better go find a book and be quiet whilst I had something to eat, Myf did exactly that. I've just peeked into the living room and she and Tea are sat side by side on the sofa, each with a book. And it's quiet. Peacefully, blissfully quiet. Only Piglet, sat in her highchair making random comments about her bowl of rice crispies is disturbing the quiet. And even that is more amusing than irritating.

And now, a double plus, I just had a call from a fellow home-edder D in Retford, inviting me to her HE group this afternoon! It's a church based group, and D's husband works for the Bible College that's in North Lincolnshire, and somehow, we seem to have become good friends. So, an invite to group, and to have lunch before hand in the church coffee shop (which apparently does the best jacket potatoes for about £1.50!) and the day suddenly isn't so dreary after all.

I've made a decision about the whole currriculum thing too. Sonlight just doesn't work for us. It's a fabulous curriculum, and it's got some stunning resources, read-alouds and workbooks, but at the moment, it's just not right. Which is a shame as I bought the Kindergarten core package last year. So it's eBay time. I've listed a few bits and we'll see how they go. And if they sell well enough, (which I think they might considering one item already has 6 watchers!) I'm going to buy some Waldorf resources in a couple of weeks once I've built up a bit in the Paypal account. For some reason, the Steiner philosophy really appeals to me. I've been borrowing books off Nikki and I think it's time I bought a few of my own. Shall ramble on more about that later - time to tackle the laundry mountain.

That's after I've posted a few pictures to flickr for Dad. :)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the re-sale value on Sonlight is pretty good and if it's not working then it's time to shelve it....

Hope Waldorf lights your fire - I think it ought to with there being so much craft type stuff in it (exactly the reason it DOESN'T light my fire....)

9:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must be something in the air - Mimi was up too, tummy ache, whimpering.

She's fine today.

Hoping you get loads for the Sonlight stuff and that Waldorf works for you.

3:19 pm  
Blogger Joyce said...

I posted your patterns this evening. Didn't get them copies till today, as I wasn't in work last week.

7:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home