Mud & Mischief

Just our way of home educating our three girls; assisted by an allotment, a Land Rover and a heap of ingenuity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Sunny day and a pulled plug

So, I'm washing again. I know I've got 5 people in my house, but honestly - my washing machine runs every single day of the year. Normally several times a day. And, being a big toploading Yankee thing, it holds almost twice what a standard front loading washer does. Sometimes I feel like I spend my life washing.

At least today is sunny and blowy and I can hopefully get through the two more loads I've got to do, before the rain clouds make an appearance. I'm washing kids jackets (needed for holiday!) so they're going to take some drying.

But why am I moaning about laundry, for goodness sake? Myf has made a huge leap in the last day or two. I came in from the garden earlier and thought - hmm, quiet round here. The smaller two were excavating a flower bed so I went looking for my eldest. And there she was, cuddled up in the armchair reading a book. Now, I don't know how much was reading and how much was looking at pictures, but she was studying each page, running her finger across the words, pausing now and then.

It's taken nearly 3 days, but it seems that I've actually suceeded in doing what I set out to do on Sunday. I pulled the plug on the tv. Literally. Scrambled around down the back of the tv unit and unplugged the idiot-box from the socket. We've had tears and tantrums and the baby wailing 'telly on telly on!' for two days - and then suddenly, today, they're playing.

I tidied up the living room, vac'd the floor and then went to do more laundry. Came back, and found them all lying on the carpet in a pile of books. Even Piglet was looking at a Tweenies annual. :-D

Ok, so I won't gloat anymore. Not too much. But they're demanding more Wizard of Oz now. Off to do my parental duty and educate my children.

1 Comments:

Blogger Allie said...

One of the most interesting things about sites like that political compass one is how it is designed - the questions they choose etc.

I came out almost falling off the left/libertarian corner, so no surprise there.

Could never pull the plug I'm afraid - love tv too much. That said I find the kids nearly always choose playing a game or being read to when I offer it instead. But I do hate the tv wittering on when no-one is watching it. Drives me mad when I realise I'm shouting to communicate with someone over a tv presenter no-one is listening to!

6:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home