Mud & Mischief

Just our way of home educating our three girls; assisted by an allotment, a Land Rover and a heap of ingenuity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Monday, January 10, 2005

Just when you're about to give up

After this morning's announcement of D wanting to go back to school, I was about ready to go hide in a corner somewhere and contemplate my navel, for all the use I felt I was as a home edder.

But then, this afternoon, D actually sat down at the table with a pencil and a piece of paper and started writing words. She wanted to add to the word tree, and so wrote Nanny, hat, sat, hen, mat and love on a sheet of blank leaves. And then we talked about cursive writing and I did the alphabet for her in her notebook. And then she copied some letters. Got bored and asked for a piece of A4. Ten minutes later, she was presenting me with a menu for her cafe. Pictures of sausages and beans and a fried egg, and some bananas and a tea pot, tea cup and milk jug. We put prices on and she took my order and we added up the total.

In between times, I started dinner, filled the sink with water then got sidetracked on some project or other, and next thing I know, she's in the sink washing up. She wanted to help, she said. So, instead of chasing her out of the kitchen like I normally do (small kitchen, lots of stuff in a little space), I let her. Washed dishes. A not even damp floor. And a happy D.

Plus, we've also got a happy Mommy. I overheard her at playgroup this morning telling someone how she liked not going to school. And whilst they all had a nap this afternoon, I got an hour's good digging in the front garden, to tidy it up somewhat. Dinner is in the oven (some concoction of chicken, tomatoes, white wine, etc etc... had to open a bottle of wine though, as I need a couple of glasses in the casserole... damn, means I'll have to drink what's left...)

Shame. :)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home