Mud & Mischief

Just our way of home educating our three girls; assisted by an allotment, a Land Rover and a heap of ingenuity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Garden day

Yes, before anyone grumbles, this post is backdated... but it's been a busy few days.

Yesterday we spent the entire morning in the garden. It was great. I've got some neat little 'splash suits' for the small ones, so everyone togged up in wellies and coats and gloves, and we dived headlong into the chaos that is my big back yard. With all the nonsense that's been going on round here for the past couple of months, both the garden and the allotment have been sadly neglected (no, I haven't been up the lottie since about early November and I'm dreading it).

I cleared up after the dog, then set to for some serious tidying. I didn't really get much chance to do proper gardening, as it took me till lunchtime just to pick up all the debris. Emptying dead hanging baskets, cleaning out the guinea pig, shifting half full bags of stuff I'd started collecting back in the autumn. In the end, I accumulated 4 big black bags full of rubbish, and filled one and a half bays in my big 3 bay composter thing.

Meanwhile, the girls attacked the potato bed with fork, hoe, sticks and hands and dug out all the little and slug-riddled spuds that we hadn't gotten around to eating before the frost hit. Need to dig that over and add a bit of lime ready for peas and beans. I have a deep raised bed that I grew a mish-mash of roots in last year - I think I'm going to do the same again this year. The soil was all fresh last spring, and I'm growing such a wide variety of stuf in there - carrots, beetroot, onions, marigolds, etc, that a second year of the same crops won't hurt. Where the purple popcorn was last year I think I'll put to potatoes, and then brassicas can go where the broad beans were. We'll see. I'm not even thinking of what is going where up at the lottie.

Today we all went on the bus.

Now I know there are a few of you who are probably raising eyebrows at this, but I am fortunate in that I've always had a car. Carting three small people around without a car is something I have thankfully never had to do. But, as DH has taken the truck with him this week, I have been carless. So we all piled on the bus that stops at the foot of my road and went on a 20 minute journey into Doncaster to spend the day with a friend, who's son D used to go to nursery with. The girls loved it - even F sat still for the best part of the journey.

And one advantage of going on the bus - when it was time to go home, the amount of whining , complaing and general grumbling was drastically reduced when I reminded D and T that we were going home on the bus. They practically ran out of the door. :)

I fed them, put them to bed, and then spent far too long on MSN chatting to various folks and friends dotted around the globe, and only realised the time when it was way gone 1am. So much for my quality me time and early nights, eh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home