Mud & Mischief

Just our way of home educating our three girls; assisted by an allotment, a Land Rover and a heap of ingenuity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Yesterday's dirty day out

Oh did we have fun. :) As soon as I figure out how to post pictures on here, I'll be show casing our fab day out in the Dales.

5 vehicles met up at Woodall Services on the M1 southbound at 9.45 am (should have been 9.30, but we were late... ahem. Blame 3 small people.) Four Land Rover Discoverys and a 90 Defender. I'm actually writing this trip up for the Discovery Owners Club magazine, but I won't go into too much detail here. Call this a brief precis. lol

We headed to Bakewell and then spent the day following a trio of green lanes that took us north west from there onto a Roman road, right on the top of things - the 90 driver had a GPS system that informed us we were 1200ft above sea level. A fun, slippery, rocky staircase of a track brought us down onto a proper road by Ladybower Reservoir, just as the sun was setting. Midday we stopped in Tideswell for a snack and a hot drink.

I also found out the name Tideswell comes from a series of wells in the area that actually ebb and flow. Cool or what? I guess we could note that down as geography (geology? history?) :) Lots of natural history too, and food chains, ie, "Mom, what do sheep eat? Well what do cows eat? What do we call the bit of the cow we eat?" And subsequent lectures from D to T on "we eat sheep but it's called lamb, cow and it's called beef and pigs have lots of names like pork and bacon". T chimes in "me like chicken". D asks "Mom, what does chicken come from?"

Small pause.

"A farm?" quoth DH.

And on the subject of DH, I must now report that he has departed for Shropshire for 4 nights. Partially to fix up the old Range Rover we've had sat in a friend's field for over a year, and partially to give us a little space. Things were slightly strained over the festive period (hence lack of blogging!), and although the situation is much better now than back at the beginning of December (the words 'trial separation' were muttered at one point), we've decided to continue with the original plan that was decided upon before Yule. This way, he gets to chill out with an old friend, and some child-free thinking time. And, in a couple of weeks, I might get the chance to go away for a night or two on my own (maybe, if I'm very lucky).

So I now have 4 man-free days to start my mega-de-clutter for 2005. My mission this year? To make some space in this dinky house. The extension never happened last year (despite having planning permission granted back in the summer), so I've decided to make the most of what we do have, and dump all the extraneous clutter. Wish me luck! :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Jax Blunt said...

I love Tideswell - we spent a summer on a farm there back in my early teen years. Sheep herding and dipping, milking cows, mending electric fences, general farm tasks, it was great.

Glad you had a good day - look forward to seeing you again soon.

5:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kris,
Glad you're back again - I missed your posts! Hopefully we'll catch up at the Bradway group at some point.

7:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home