Mud & Mischief

Just our way of home educating our three girls; assisted by an allotment, a Land Rover and a heap of ingenuity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Friday, January 21, 2005

A Eureka! moment

It seems this home-schooling lark is just one long series of self-doubting lows interspersed with a few 'okay' days at the moment - and then you get get a day like today. :)

It started off innocuously enough - a request by D for 'some colouring and work stuff that you print off the computer, please Mommy'. So I browsed around and printed off a huge batch of Cbeebies colouring-in pages, then some simple maths worksheets and a few ideas for writing.

Well, not only did they all set too with a willingness that surprised me, they all did extrememly well! T has suddenly discovered the joy of actually colouring the picture, as opposed to the paper. She also did some drawing later, and produced some recognisable patterns, faces and so on. F had fun scribbling on anything that came within reach.

However, D amazed me. She carefully coloured in four pictures, all in 'real' colours, as she put it. "And I either stayed in the lines, too Mommy." (Not sure why she keeps using either instead of even). Then she asked to see the work papers, and we sat and did some maths worksheets together! Lots of subtracting, using a number line, adding up using dice, then some mental arithmetic once we'd done all the sums on the sheet. And she got it - grasped the number line concept in a matter of minutes. :) Proud momma, or what?

Add to that she ate all of her dinner without complaint, picked up most of the stuff lying around in the living room before hand, hardly yelled at her siblings all day and even was first into her pyjamas with no fuss... Of course, I fully expect the aliens to return my real daughter tomorrow, but hey, I enjoyed today enormously.

And it's also not bad when you consider I seemed to spend half the day on this ruddy machine, sorting out seeds and varieties and stuff, and writing up a blurb to go in with the seeds... although I think I got a bit carried away and I may have to cut down what I've written. Tend to get sidetracked when rambling on about seeds and gardening. Don't think 5yo's are ready for 2 pages of vegetative mutterings. But will take myself off to Muddy Musings to explain further. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home