Mud & Mischief

Just our way of home educating our three girls; assisted by an allotment, a Land Rover and a heap of ingenuity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Monday, January 17, 2005

Bradway meet today

Just managed to post this blog without writing a word... let's try again, shall we?

Went to the meet at Bradway today - took munchkins and a spinning wheel, as Jax had told me we were 'doing' wool. Fine by me, I thought. Eventually tracked my mother-out-law down and retrieved said wheel, as it's been stored at her house for nearly 18 months. No room in this little house for it. :(

However, arrived at hall within 1/2 hour of starting, so that was a bonus for us. Brought kids in, then went back to retrieve wheel. Lots of 'oohs' and 'ahhs' when I walked in with it. Most gratifying. lol

The kids did weaving on cardboard leaving wombs... I mean, weaving looms. Couldn't talk properly today, which Sarah found most amusing. :P Ok, so one day I will engage brain before trying to interact with other people. Dino was a star today though - he understood what I was on about! He was also most fascinated with the wheel, so it looks like I'm off to north Derbys at some point with wheel and wool. :)

I have had a bit of a brainwave though, as regards home-ed kids and gardening. Mainly thanks to Dino and Sarah and our discussion on how he wanted to grow and eat his own veg!

I think I might be putting together some home-ed packages of seed. I have so many kinds of seed, and there's no way I can hope to plant them all in the next few years. I'm thinking, off the top of my head, that if I put 4 or 5 of each kind of seed, say a pumpkin and a runner bean, some sunflowers and french beans and maybe a courgette, a tomato and a lettuce... put them together in a little envelope, with some growing instructions, and make it into a home-ed style project. And then get the kids to record what they grow, when they plant the seeds, how many germinate, what kind of stuff grows, what they did with the veg, if they ate it or gave it to elderly aunts etc, and get them to grow some seed for following years. We could even have a competition for the longest French bean, or the biggest pumpkin. :)

Have cross-posted this to the other blog, just to get more feedback. If I get much interest, I'll post full details on the Muddy Musings blog.

9 Comments:

Blogger Classroomfree said...

Oooh, the Home Ed planting project sounds a great idea!

9:23 pm  
Blogger Jax Blunt said...

Only if you're going to do a bigger envelope for home edding parents - and I mean by that that it's *me* that's learning about growing stuff round here, and if Big wants to join in too, that's fine by me.

Sounds like a fantastic idea - are you still nomail on MP, do you want me to point ppl at your blog to see if you could get a wider audience?

9:44 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

sounds like a great idea Kris. And wow to the spinning wheel too, don't think I've ever seen one outside of the Rumplestiltskin story book!

10:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umm, Dino thinks he's coming to your house? Doesn't really matter - but I'd like to follow up on his interest if we can. The seed packs sound great. Dino does love to go and choose his own though, but it won't hurt to have a few more will it???

Still giggling at Wooming Leave, or Woom Leaving or whichever it was.

10:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and the link you've used is my business blog - the HE one is http://roosarah.blogspot.com/

Ta

10:35 pm  
Blogger Sarah said...

We'd be up for a seed pack, sounds like an absolutely brilliant idea!

12:00 am  
Blogger dottyspots said...

Like the idea of this!

2:50 pm  
Blogger Claire said...

Yes please to seed packet idea here too - sounds fab!

3:33 pm  
Blogger Rosie said...

like the seed idea- I was thinking of trying to blag some seeds from my octogenarian wow-gardening neighbour and putting in a raised bed somewhere for the kids- F is keen to grow some veg. I havent dont too well yet, but managed to put in a herb garden around patio last year - I suppose that's something.
What sort of Spinning wheel do you have? I've been wandering round muttering 'must get a spinning wheel' to myself for a couple of days now! (need interesting yarn for knitting) I have seen a really small treadle thingy in action, looks interesting. Not tried it tho'- maybe need to be taught by someone? Leaving wombs-LOL I like it

12:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home