Mud & Mischief

Just our way of home educating our three girls; assisted by an allotment, a Land Rover and a heap of ingenuity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Positive fruitful day

It's been a good one. Did a mammoth shop, on my own first thing. Went to Asda, of all damned places, fully expecting it to be heaving with panic buying (remember the last fuel strike, when people were buying everything they could get their hands on?), and it was really, really quiet. Maybe because they had no fuel. lol

Did it without kids too, as it's James day off, so he sat on them whilst I wandered the aisles in relative peace and quiet. And as it was the first supermarket shop in over a month, I managed to fill my trolley so full, I needed two when everything had been put into bags. lol No more shopping for me for a month! Except for fresh stuff from the Fieldgate centre (nice food!)

Then we had lunch once I was back, did a bit of gardening, mowed the lawns, fixed the front of my car, and then Hazel, Colin and Romy arrived to collect Toblerone. They also brought Pip and Willow to meet their new room(cage) mate, and we had a living room full of kids and dogs and guinea pigs and it was absolutely lovely. The girls all made instant friends and ran off to do 'things' in the garden, Colin and James retired to the driveway to talk Land Rovers and Hazel and I had about 3 and ahalf minutes of relative peace to have a quick chat before the kids all came piling back in. It was chaos and it was great. Of course, if I'd known they were vegan, I'd have hidden the simmering pan of steak and kidney in the oven, and had some of my ginger biscuits ready to go. :)

Once they'd taken Toby to his new home, I threw the small people into bed for a quick snooze - "I'm not tired" wailed Myf, who was asleep in about 5 seconds flat and stayed that way for nearly an hour. She is not nice when tired. (wonder who she takes after??) Two loads of laundry, some potato digging and shopping unpacking later, we had tuna pasta bake and then I got to go to the lottie. On my own. Whilst James put the offspring through the tub and into bed. I dug up another 40lbs of spuds, some beetroot (not sure what to do with it as I'm not hugely keen on the stuff - might pickle it) and a parsnip. Desperately need to get up there and do some serious weeding. Someone has been throwing their old potato haulm and weeds onto my plot, probably as a mute form of protest. Time to beat that fat hen into submission, I think.

I bathed, read my book and now I'm here, but off to bed. It's the little ones' first day at pre-school tomorrow. !!!

4 Comments:

Blogger dottyspots said...

Spammy comments again.

Do those ginger biscuits have butter in?

8:51 am  
Blogger Hazel said...

We had a great time too :o)))

Don't be daft about the steak and kidney pie. When you come to ours we won't hide the tofu, lol.

Toby has settled in really well with his big brothers. Thanks. xxx

9:33 am  
Blogger Kris said...

Ginger biscuits do have butter in on occasions (real butter, not margerine)- but they're just as easily made with dairy-free spread and they've even been known to be gluten free when necessary. :) and there's something amazing about the recipe, in that they always taste gorgeous.

Especially with G&B organic dark choc chips. Or a crumbled G&B Maya gold bar.

11:19 am  
Blogger Em said...

chutney. I made my beetroots into chutney. Don't tell anyone it was only 2 jars worth though!! Eeep I haven't been to lottie for a month *wails!* lucky theres two of us doing it.

4:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home