Mud & Mischief

Just our way of home educating our three girls; assisted by an allotment, a Land Rover and a heap of ingenuity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

A new chapter begins


Tomorrow is the start of my 'new' life.

Ok, maybe not that dramatic, but things are changing, and it seems September is the month in which these things happen in my life.

First thing in the morning, the new playgroup starts. Not sure entirely how I got roped into this, but Nikki and I have taken over the Thursday morning playgroup in Bawtry. We're going to run it along Waldorf lines, and try to figure out a way to incorporate the homeschool kids in once a fortnight. We have a basic outline plan but I think for the first session we're just going to wing it, ask lots of questions of all the mums who'll (hopefully) come along and see what kinds of things they'd like us to do.

I'm also going to get Tea and Piglet a place in the local pre-school. I think I may have blogged this awhile back, but my intentions are to get them in on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings, which will give Myf and I some much needed one-on-one time to do 'stuff'. Not entirely sure what kind of 'stuff' we're going to do but it'll be a start. I'm thinking timelines, a little British history, some Celtic myths, some basic maths (we've slipped alittle in that department) and building on her reading, which has suddenly developed a very strong foundation. I'm hugely proud of her reading. I've also got this Sonlight science thing, and a whole bunch of Krampf science project emails I'm dying to get started on. It's the kind of thing, though, that doesn't need a 2 year old dismantling everything as we go along.

And on that note, I'm going to have to start getting some sleep. Tea has given up her dummy, voluntarily, about 3 weeks ago. After several months of me telling her she was too big for one now (she's 4 in December), we lost the last one on a Tuesday nap time. So we persuaded her to go to sleep without it. An hour later, she was still awake, but not crying, which is what she'd always done before when I'd tried to take the dummy (known as sookie) off her. I went up, and she was complaining she couldn't get to sleep without sookie. I tucked her in, gave her her fleecy blanket and her baby doll, which, I pointed out, didn't have a sookie, and left her to it. 5 minutes later, she was asleep, and she's slept fine without it since! And there was me thinking I had a huge battle looming.

Thing is, I'm so used to be woken up to find sookie, find bunny, drinka water, etc etc that I'm waking up on my own two and three times a night, and that's after it's taken me an hour or two to get to sleep...

Time to start switching this thing off before 11pm, I think. Even before midnight would be a start.

And then there's the smallholding I've found in Wales...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope the playgroup goes well for you. Welcome home!

7:45 am  
Blogger Classroomfree said...

Yep hoping everything goes to plan for you :-) Smallholding sounds a bit exciting...

6:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home