Mud & Mischief

Just our way of home educating our three girls; assisted by an allotment, a Land Rover and a heap of ingenuity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Saturday, February 12, 2005

Apologies

...for the previous two grouchy posts.

I'm much better now. Mainly because we've been out of the house and I found my nice kids in the car. Funny that - you take three horrible bad-tempered whiny children out and strap them in their car seats, and by the time you've retrieved your bag, locked up the house and started the engine, they've been miraculously replaced by the cheerful, bouncy, slightly-too-loud offspring that you thought you'd lost somewhere along the way.

Doncaster Rovers are playing today, so town was absolutely awash with police. Riot vans, bobbies in body armour and flourescent vests and jackets, and we counted 8 police horses. F was thrilled with them, and shrieked 'hoss!' at regular intervals the whole time we were out. D was a bit perturbed by all the official looking officers, and asked me, in a not very quiet voice, why were there so many police around? I replied that they were there to help keep her safe. "But why would they want to keep me safe?" she asked. "Because that's their job. It's what they do," I replied. This little exchange took place right next to a riot van, whilst we were waiting to cross the road. As the lights changed and we went to cross, I happened to glance into the open window of the vehicle, and got a broad smile and a nod of approval from the copper who I hadn't noticed sitting there. The fact he was a very good looking copper cheered me up enormously. :)

That, and I did my good deed for the day. Found a purse lying on the floor in a busy little shopping arcade. Picked it up, noticed the bus pass on the back and had a quick look round for possible owners - no one who matched the picture. So, as we were on our way back to the car anyway, I took a detour to the police station with it. I did check inside to see if there was any other kind of ID in there, but all I could see was a Nectar card and a £20.

And I know this sounds really daft, but it was the harrassed, pregnant desk sergeant who made me feel pretty good about today. She took my name and address, filled out the log sheet and then, as I handed the purse over, she looked me in the eye and said 'thank you so much for doing this'. It was the sincerity on her face - like I'd gone 20 miles out of my way to do something extra nice for her. Fair made my day. :-D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home