Mud & Mischief

Just our way of home educating our three girls; assisted by an allotment, a Land Rover and a heap of ingenuity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Monday, November 15, 2004

LEA contact

Well, I didn't think I'd be able to escape for too long, but I'm quite surprised as D has only been deregistered for 2 week and I've already had two letters.

The first is a green form they want me to fill in. I'm not very happy with it, to be honest. There's a section where they want me to fill in the names and d.o.b.'s of any children not yet of school age. Plus they ask if I've any outstanding parenting or legal orders, if my kids have any special needs, which curriculum I'm going to follow, which exams they will be prepped for, what subjects I'm likely to cover, etc etc. All a little bit much for a 5 y.o.!

Also, I've got my letter from a certain Mr Eyebal (no, his name isn't spelled like that but we're avoiding getting picked up by google) of Doncaster LEA this week (I can't even think that name without laughing... doesn't bode well for a meeting in person).

And it's quite patronising.

"It may be helpful for you to know that the law requires their education to be: 'efficient, full time and suitable to their age, ability and apititudes and to any special needs they may have'."

Really? Fancy that. He continues:

"Consequently, in order to carry out our responsibility, I would like to make a first visit to see you as soon as possible to discuss the arrangements you have already put in place for her education, and to see any evidence of what she has done. The first meting is one where proposals, ideas and detailed arrangements can be freely discussed. A fruther meeting to consider progress and the effectiveness of what is being provided will be made for a few months later."

He's generously given me 3 weeks notice - the date he puts in his letter is 7th December. I've asked on the SYHEC list and pretty much everyone has advised me to tell him sod off, only not in so many words. (Yes, I could hear you lot thinking that!) lol

I'm going to reply with a very nice letter, thanking him for his communique, and telling him that a home visit will not be necessary until the New Year, as we're still deschooling. I've been given a list of books I can quote at him, so I think I'd better get reading! :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Jax Blunt said...

If you post on Muddlepuddle you'll get a whole lot more opinions on *how* to tell him to sod off!

Have mailed you offblog about books'n'stuff.

10:07 pm  
Blogger dottyspots said...

Well, my husband made a rather amusing comment about Doncaster LEA, but for the most part it's unrepeatable - but can be summed up more politely by 'balls to the LEA', followed by - atleast your kids don't have to go to a crappy school - he wasn't one of the LEA's favourite pupils (as he took it upon himself not to go to school as a teenager).

He's got family there still - but it's not really on the list of places to move to - I think it's you that said that the LEA aren't exactly friendly to HE-ers.

I wouldn't worry too much, TBH, there are quite a few LEAs that send out crappy letters. We had one with a table to fill in when we de-registered the boys. I replied thanking them for their interest, but never filled the table in as it was largely irrelevant to what we do as HE-ers. When they do visits here they have a little table broken down into subjects they have to fill in which is rather amusing and I have said so - the officer agreed and said that it was bureaucracy at its best :0)

I have to admit the name Iball makes me snigger a bit too :0D

6:44 pm  
Blogger dottyspots said...

Well, looks like we'll be joining you under Doncaster LEA......

10:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home