Mud & Mischief

Just our way of home educating our three girls; assisted by an allotment, a Land Rover and a heap of ingenuity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Newstead Abbey

Had a lovely day out with the girls. We went to Newstead Abbey which is down near Nottingham. Unfortunately the building itself was closed, but the gardens were all open.

There are formal, 17th century walled gardens, a lovely enclosed herb garden with ancient pear trees pruned to create archways, a Japanese garden, an ancient cedar tree, yew corridors, water features... We spent a couple of hours just wandering around, losing small children in the shrubbery. We went with our normal exploring companions, Grant and his two offspring, (daughter same age as D, son same age as F). The older girls had a ball, with poor T trying gamely to keep up.

The abbey was the home of Lord Byron, and we talked some about poetry. Of course, that rapidly degenerated into rude limericks... We're going to get a book out of the library though. I was quite disappointed the house wasn't open, but it does mean we're going to have to go back in the spring when it reopens. They're doing a lot of restoration work on it at present. But the best bit was the waterfall that came out of the large lake - there was a little path along the side of the fall pool, and you could get right behind it! The girls thought that was the absolute highlight of their day, peering out through the water at the babies who were parked out on the path. They took lots of pictures, as Grant had brought along two minature digital cameras.

I was pleasantly surprised I managed to fit us all into the truck too - I know it's got seven seats, but that uses up pretty much most of the interior space. As well as 5 kids and 2 adults, we squashed in 7 jackets, a picnic, two changing bags, some extra shopping we bought whilst purchasing picnic stuff... well, you get the picture. The double buggy had to go on the roof rack. Good job it didn't rain too hard. :)

I can't wait for tomorrow - D and I are going to the ballet. I feel like a little kid again. I've never been to the ballet. Sounds pretty sad, I know, especially as I'm a complete classical music freak, but first with college, then small children, I've never managed to get to the ballet.

We're going to see Swan Lake. D is so excited too. At least she's stopped referring to it as Barbie Swan Lake - now she's telling everyone we're going to see Ballerina Swan Lake. I'm taking a rook of books and notepads and munchies for her - it's two and a half hours (I think that's including a remission) and I really don't want her to get bored. We're also catching the train home, which in itself is going to be a big adventure. DH gets T and F to himself for a day, which they'll enjoy. No doubt they'll go inflict sliced white on the geese at Lakeside.

The girls are all glad DH is back from Holland. They really do miss him when he's away. Even though they only see him for an hour or two in the evening most days, they notice when he's not there.

Brought another pot back from college tonight - this pottery lark is fun. :) I am now the proud owner of a pumpkin tealight holder thingy, and square green pot with an oak leaf on the front. One day, I shall figure out how to put pics into this blog...

Now I really need to stop rambling like a grasshopper on catnip and go get some sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home